Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Light in the Darkness

Friends of ours have planted a church in a squatter camp just outside of our city. This community, called Freedom Park, is home to immigrants from all over Africa seeking employment on the platinum mines in Rustenburg. It has both legal and illegal housing sections and homes, called shacks, made from any material people can find. Over 40 000 immensely poor people from numerous African cultures are interspersed throughout this large section of land. There is no water or electricity, more diversity than you can imagine, and alcoholism and prostitution run rife. In the midst of all the suffering, God has been working through our friends, as well as many others, to bring the gospel to this community and raise up a generation that loves Jesus Christ. Week after week, the faithful in Christ are coming to hear God's word, foster biblical community, and be discipled to change their world

I was asked to preach two services this month and my second one was this past Sunday. As I entered the camp, I drove through a police patrol with hundreds of onlookers standing beside the railway line. To my right, shacks had been set ablaze by angry members of the community. I had no idea what had sparked the conflict, if it was just beginning or near its end, or if I should even continue driving into the camp. My interpreter, Walter, ensured me we would be safe and so we continued on to the church. There I learned that roughly 20 people had been killed the night before in a conflict between two tribal groups.  Hundreds of men with sticks and other sharp objects were singing and marching through the sandy streets of the camp passing by the church. These men were going around exacting punishment on those who had perpetrated the mass killings. We had fewer church members arrive, but for the next three hours we carried on with our service as planned and had a truly magnificent time in the presence of the Lord. 

Driving home I felt the tension drain away the last of my strength and could not wait to get home to the comfort of my family all the while knowing I was driving away from the precious church members who must remain in Freedom Park. It's a heartbreaking and humbling experience to serve this nation and these wonderful people. Thank you so much for your prayers and faithful support that allows us to love people and share the gospel. Won't you please join us today in praying for Hope Church in Freedom Park, that God would continue to leads its fellowship and that love, life, and light would pour from its doors into the community. Pray that God would use the circumstances unique to their community to bring people into His presence and receive the salvation Christ alone can offer. Thank you so much! 

No comments: