Friday, March 10, 2017

Angelica

On March 5th our local church revealed the new church baptismal pool. Previously baptisms have always been done in a volunteered swimming pool, sometimes the one in our own backyard. Derek and I love baptisms. We love hearing the testimonies of those who have made this important decision and watching them experience this precious moment to follow in Christ's footsteps. 

We had 3 extra children with us that Sunday and I was excited for all of them to witness the baptisms and join in the celebration of the day. The first young woman to speak shared her testimony as I have known it from a meeting she and I had together one morning last year. Several years ago she was involved in a car accident that broke nearly every bone in her body. Its hard for me to imagine the physical pain she has gone through to recover. But by the time we had our one-on-one, she was aware of her brokenness in a whole new light. We spoke for quite a while that morning about where that brokenness can lead us; how it can turn us into the arms of the only One capable of truly putting us back together. It was a good meeting. We both cried and we prayed and after that she and her mom started attending church regularly, but we never met for another one-on-one. 

When I saw her step up onto the stage for baptisms, my heart was delighted for her and the declaration she was making. She talked about her childhood, her car accident, and having grown up believing herself to be 'good' and to be a Christian. About half way through her testimony she looked across the room at me and shared that it was in my office that morning last year that she received Christ as her Saviour. My row of 6 kids all turned their heads at me at once. Derek picked up my hand and kissed it. These are moments we long for, moments when we know God used us and that our presence made a difference. 

Seeds, seeds, seeds....we often have no idea how deeply we are planting. Christ had been planting seeds in Angelica for quite a while. I had no idea a harvest had taken place that morning in the office. I knew the moment was precious, but little did I know what was actually taking place in this woman's soul. God knew I needed a reminder that morning of the seeds we plant, the seeds we water, and the life that blooms through salvation. Lord God, please grant us more and more of all these moments. 

No comments: