Monday, December 5, 2016

Break-ins

Living in South Africa with all the various security measures was an adjustment for me. I got so used to the bars and alarms and locking every door possible that once while on furlough, I locked the garage door of our host family in Texas. Thankfully, it was noticed the next morning otherwise I would have inadvertently locked the entire family out of the house. Mr. Inman had grace for me and laughed it off.  In Texas I feel utterly exposed without all our extra security. In South Africa, I struggle to sleep without checking every window and every lock. At the same time I hate the look of the homes with all our bars and wire. Our neighbours have small pieces of glass atop of their walls and at times I shudder to think of the measures we all go to in order to protect our property. 

Over the years we have had a few break-ins to our outdoor storage area and a few things have gone missing from the garden, but things are different now. In the last 7 weeks we have had 5 break-ins. Last night a huge section of our palisade fencing was cut down. The expense to replace items and add security is taking its toll. But the worst of it is the feeling of attack, oppression, and harassment. I find I am far more fearful at the moment. I'm sad. I'm angry. I'm struggling. Today someone will come to weld the bars back into place. Tomorrow he will add razor wire to the bars. Thursday we have laser beams being installed to alarm us if someone is near our bedroom windows or around our vehicles while we sleep. Our current home security system will be upgraded to allow for the new laser beams. And my heart is breaking. This is my home. This is the place God has given me to raise my children. This is the place of our greatest ministry, where we extend our hospitality and pray God will be glorified in all we do and say; that when guest arrive they feel at home and long to sit and stay a while. That miracles happen in our living room. That the peace of God reigns. 

I am beyond grateful for God's hand of protection. I love you Lord and know YOU ARE MY FORTRESS. YOU ARE MY SHIELD. YOU ARE MY EVER PRESENT HELP IN TROUBLE. Thank you for the many prayers uttered on our behalf for our family and our safety. Please continue to lift us up. Please pray against fear. Pray we cry out for rescue always trusting in God despite our efforts to guard ourselves. Pray this home will be a beacon of love, comfort, and security for all who enter. Pray we are merciful. Pray we are generous. Your prayers add strength to my weary heart. Thank you! 

1 comment:

Julie Ayala said...

What a heavy burden, your weary heart is understandable. Praying for you now friend.